Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] External "recylable" hard drives as Bacula storage -how?

2009-01-10 18:08:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] External "recylable" hard drives as Bacula storage -how?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 01:04:57 +0200
I'm considering the use of reasonably-priced external hard drives to replace
my oldish tape drive. In the beginning this would apply my home system.
Drives like this:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=563

AFAIK Bacula has been very much designed with tapes (volumes) and tape pools
in mind, though it is possible to create volumes on hard disks too.

I haven't tried to plan this very much yet, so there certainly are some
holes in my scenario. But let's suppose I had (for example) 3 pcs of
one-terabyte drives like the one in the link above, I would keep at least
one of them in a "safehouse", and one or two (at a time) were attached to
computer running Bacula SD. This 3-disk system is a minimized scenario,
there would soon be a need for 4-5 disks, I guess.

The goal could be writing all the backups to one drive for, say, one month.
Then, this drive would be considered "used" (compare to "volume use
duration" in Bacula) and the next one were taken into daily use, though both
the disks were attached to the server at this time. Then, some day soon
thereafter I would take the "used" one to safehouse, and some day bring the
oldest one from the safehouse back to use, and attach it to the server
before it actually is needed. Very much like I move tapes between a
safehouse and an autoloader, making sure they are there when needed but not
forced to do it at certain preset day.

Basically, this is recycling the disk drives, like Bacula recycles volumes.
Both full and incremental jobs were written to same disk, and I would
propably like the system configured in a way that after a new disk is taken
into use (after the previous one was considered "used") the first jobs were
run as full backups.

How should this (or something even close to this) be set up? When the disks
were attached to the server, they would get different device names at
different times, and I wouldn't like to manually edit config files each
time. I'm sure someone has at least been thinking about this already, maybe
also implemented this. So, can Bacula currently handle this kind of setup in
a reasonable way?

Regards,
Timo