Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tape not being used to full capacity

2008-12-31 03:57:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tape not being used to full capacity
From: Bruno Almeida <bruno.almeida AT net-a-porter DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:56:02 +0000
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply,

There are no errors at all on dmesg though.

I am going to try swapping the cable.

Bruno

John Drescher wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Bruno Almeida
> <bruno.almeida AT net-a-porter DOT com> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I am trying to figure out what is happening with my backups. I don't
>> think the problem is with bacula, but I thought I'd ask here in case
>> someone experienced the same problem.
>>
>> I am using a HP Ultrium-3 auto loader, but not using the autochanger
>> feature, just manually changing the tapes when needed.
>>

>> The full backups are done using 800GB(2:1 compression) LTO-3 tapes. My
>> full backups are just under 300GB, but sometimes bacula thinks the tape
>> is full after writing about 230GB to it and requests a new tape.
>>
>> I have enabled hardware compression, but it still writes less than the
>> uncompressed capacity of the tape.
>>
>> Any clues on what might be causing this ?
>>
> SCSI errors. Check your dmesg output.
>
> John

New to NET-A-PORTER.COM: 6 fabulous boutiques!
http://www.net-a-porter.com/boutiques

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the
addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
the intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the information.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Net a Porter Ltd.

Net A Porter Ltd is a company registered in England & Wales Number: 3820604
Registered Office: The Dome, Whiteleys Centre, 151 Queensway, London, W2 4YN.