Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to handle long, time consuming backups

2008-12-30 08:45:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to handle long, time consuming backups
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: Maarten Hoogveld <m.hoogveld AT elevate DOT nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:42:08 +0000
Maarten Hoogveld wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to solve this efficiently or have any
> experience with this type of problem?

Yes, with exactly this type of problem.  I have 200GB of mostly-static
data spread fairly evenly over two sites.

The problem isn't just backup - how do you propose to restore 20GB?

My solution is to break the backup into two parts:

Part 1: Sync.  Use rsync to get a copy of the data from the server which
needs backing up to some location closer to your storage daemon.  Works
beautifully with Linux, rsync even supports ACLs.  You may need to do
some fiddling to make it work with Windows.  Provided it's data rather
than operating system that needs the backup, I can't see why it can't
work.  Driven by a pre-backup script.

The first time this is done, your backup takes a while.  Subsequent
syncs, OTOH, are much less painful.

Part 2: Spool to storage (be it tape, disk etc).  Because you're going
over the LAN here, you get LAN performance.

Restore:  May be just as easy to pull the data from bacula, put it on a
hard disk locally and courier it to the remote site.

--
James Cort

IT Manager
U4EA Technologies Ltd.