Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Random "Unable to authenticate" error

2008-12-16 17:45:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Random "Unable to authenticate" error
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:43:51 +0100
Hi,

16.12.2008 21:35, J-P wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I wonder if someone could help me find a solution. We are running Bacula for
> a couple months and from time to time (at least 2 or 3 a week) we have
> failed run with the following error message. Clients and occurrences are
> random.
>

> -- start of message --
> 15-Dec 23:26 xxxxx-dir: Start Backup JobId 2771,
> Job=yyyyy_Backup.2008-12-15_23.05.30
>
> 15-Dec 23:29 xxxxx-dir: yyyyy_Backup.2008-12-15_23.05.30 Fatal error: Unable
> to authenticate with File daemon on "x.x.x.x:9102". Possible causes:
> Passwords or names not the same or
> Maximum Concurrent Jobs exceeded on the FD or
> FD networking messed up (restart daemon).
> Please see http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/faq.html#AuthorizationErrors for
> help.
>
> 15-Dec 23:29 xxxxx-dir: yyyyy_Backup.2008-12-15_23.05.30 Error: Bacula 2.0.3
> (06Mar07): 15-Dec-2008 23:29:20
> -- snip --
>

> I took a look at the URL above and did a number of google searches, but I'm
> unable to find a definitive solution. I'm sure it is not the password as it
> works most of the time. I don't think it is the Max concurrent jobs either,
> but maybe someone can confirm, here is our config about that:
>

> -- Start config --
> # The Bacula Director

Irrelevant here... this is the client that would refuse the connection.
> NOTE: All clients are configured the same way
>
> FileDaemon {                          # this is me
>   Name = client1-fd
>   FDport = 9102                  # where we listen for the director
>   WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
>   Pid Directory = /var/run/bacula
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20

Should be sufficient, unless you run very man yjobs in parallel, and
check the FD's statsu from several monitoring stations each second, or
something.

>   FDAddress = x.x.x.x
> }

> Now, that only left the "FD networking messed up" as an option. So I can say
> that we use monitoring for all our hosts and nothing is reported about
> network failure. I can also tell that I don't need to restart the FD for the
> next backup to be successful...

Is it possible that the clients are heavily loaded when those error
occur? I believe the directors timeout contacting the clients is
rather short, and if the FD is just swapped out and the whole system
busy it might take a while for it to reply.

I would start by checking system load and (perhaps) I/O load and if
processes are swapped out on the clients.

> Here are other information you might be interested in:
>
> OS: Ubuntu 7.10
> Bacula version: 2.0.3

Nice to provide that info! (But I don't think we need it. Later
perhaps :-)

Arno

> Your time and help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks