Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problems with fileset and "\\<"

2008-12-16 17:39:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problems with fileset and "\\<"
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:34:13 +0100
Hi,

16.12.2008 16:32, Personal Técnico wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured a windows fileset with this option:
>        Include {
>             File = "\\<C:\lista.txt"
>        }
>
> With this, users can modify in their computer what files will be backup
> and I will not restart server. They only need to create a file called
> "lista.txt" in C:\.
>
> But I have found a problem:
>
>    1. first, a user creates this file with just a folder to backup: C:\AAA
>    2. after it, after some days, user decides to save more folders, so
>       he modifies that file (C:\lista.txt) and append three folders:
>       C:\123, C:\ProgramFiles and C:\Temp (one per line). In this
>       moment, "lista.txt" contains four folder to backup. After add that
>       folders, user restarts Bacula service,

Why?

> but when backups starts
>       (manually or scheduling), the backups only save data referenced in
>       C:\AAA

What level of backup? Is it possible that you found that Bacula, when
doing a differential or incremental backup, only looks at the file's
times to decide which files to back up? In that case, you should:
- read the manual again :-)
- Run a full backup, either manually, to pick up newly-added
directories immediately, or scheduled rather frequently, to pick them
up after not too long a time.
- Wait for a release of Bacula that includes the "Accurate Backup"
option, or use the current development version, which, as far as I
know, supports accurate backup but is, for good reasons, not
considered ready for production use.

> Why? This method allows users modify what they want to backup with no
> server admin interaction

It, unfortunately, allows users to break their filesets themselves,
which is why I don't like such an option in the Bacula setups I
manage. IF you want such a thing, I'd rather suggest to use the
(upcoming) feature of "ExcludeDirsContaining". You could even invert
it's use by creating the "flag" file in all the directories, but
allowing users to remove them.

> (avoiding a bacula-dir restart), but it seems
> it is not working properly...

It is working exactly as described in the manual (and what other
backup software does, too).

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann