Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change

2008-12-10 13:37:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Brian Debelius" <bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:35:39 -0500
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Brian Debelius
<bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com> wrote:
> Well right now I have an old Asus k8v-se which has an Athlon 64 processor.

Some of my raid older servers are very similar to this motherboard
with Athlon64 3000 chips.

>  So from the conversation, it seems that it should be enough for software
> raid. But the basboard has only 2 sata ports, and 2 raid ports, and 5 PCI
> slots.  If I wanted more disks I would have to add a controller, or two.

Use the raid ports in sata (probably called jbod) mode.

>  Would the PCI bus be a bottleneck?
>
>>From my testing with a similar using the PCI bus will limit the total
bandwidth to the drives that are hung off that to around 100MB/s. So
for a 6 drive array using 4 mobo ports I was getting around 200MB/s
reads. I am not sure about writes. I think I have the same box still
available, so I probably can run some numbers but that will have to be
later as I have a meeting...

John