Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup speed

2008-05-26 15:08:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup speed
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Keith Edmunds" <kae AT midnighthax DOT com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:06:48 -0400
>> Is spooling on? Is database on the same disk / array as the source?
>
> The database is not on the array being backed up.
>
> Spooling is not enabled - I assumed that, because the data being backed up
> is on the system running Bacula, so no network latency issues, spooling
> wouldn't add anything. Am I mistaken?

Attribute spooling may help a lot if there are millions of files
because instead of adding each file to the database during the backup
bacula will hold all database operations till the job is finished.

What version of bacula is on the server? What database? Have you tried
a restore with thousands of files (just to the marking files part)? I
ask that because some users who have problems with the database /
missing indexes this building the restore tree take hours instead of a
few seconds.

John