Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Plan

2008-05-24 03:15:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Plan
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:14:02 +0200
Hi,

24.05.2008 07:01, Robin Bonin wrote:
> I read an article last week, where someone documented his backup plan
> using bacula.
> I tried to find the article again, but I couldn't find it.
>
>>>From what I remember reading,
>
> He makes a full backup one a month, that expire after 6 Months.
> He makes a Differential backup once a week that expires after a month
> And He makes a incremental backup daily, expiring after 2 weeks or so.
>
> this would allow him to restore to any of the last 6 months, the last
> 4 weeks, or any day in the last week.

That's a more or less typical scenario. Of course you will find
different retention times, but as a basic setup this is more or less a
standard.

> I understand the concepts of incremental vs differential, but from
> what I understand at least when using ntbackup on windows,
> If I have a full backup, and make an incremental backup, then a
> differential backup, the differential backup will not have the data in
> the incremental backup.(because of ntbackup looking at the archive
> flag, and the incremental backup clears the flag). So it seems his
> senerio wouldn't work. Does bacula work in a different way so a plan
> like this could work?

Not with ntbackup.

ntbackup is a good tool to capture the system state and several MS
data storages, but otherwise I find it less useful.

The archive flag is especially dangerous. You noted one of the
problems - now think what happens if two people run backups... You
can't do this with relying on the archive flag.

Regarding Bacula, though, this is not a problem. Just forget the
archive flag - Bacula works by looking at file times (which has it's
own problems, but that's another story...).

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann