Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Replacing Arcserve with Bacula, disk staging/spooling configuration

2008-05-22 15:41:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Replacing Arcserve with Bacula, disk staging/spooling configuration
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 20:41:03 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 22 May 2008, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Yeah, really nice to notice others have been fighting with arcserve too..
> I don't even have any words to describe how bad it is :)

It's not just Arcserve.

A lot of the packages out there are hard to deal with and not up to the
task. It amuses me when I see various groups within my organisation
struggling with various backup systems.

Usually when I finally convince them to hand over the reins it takes less
than 10 mins to setup a Bacula client, schedule and fileset, then kick off
the first backup - and I can breate a little easier knowing that
critical(*) backups aren't going to yet another DAT/DLT drive stuffed
under someone's desk that's facing heat/dust death.

(*) As far as the users are concerned ALL backups are critical when they
often only backup once a month due to hassle factors. Having our group
take over the backups makes their life easier and allows them to get on
with the research jobs they're paid to do, while we run nightly backups on
everything.

AB