Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Replacing Arcserve with Bacula, disk staging/spooling configuration

2008-05-22 10:42:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Replacing Arcserve with Bacula, disk staging/spooling configuration
From: <S.Lehmann8 AT DeutschePost DOT de>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:42:47 +0200
Hi Pasi,

bacula supports "disk staging", but not in the way Arcserve does. Currently we
migrate from legato networker to bacula and have had the same topic.

Staging is currently not implemented in bacula, but you can use migration jobs
for backing up jobs from disk to tape.

It look similar as follows:
Backup Client to Bacula Disk -> normal job.
Disk to Tape -> migration job.

For migration there are several ways. You can migrate by time, (oldest job,
volume, etc.) or PoolOccupancy.
PoolOccupancy did not work in Version 2.2.8 because of an bug, therefore we use
pooltime for migration. Any job older tree days will be migrated to tape.
Volumes on disk older fife days will be purged. Tape will be purged after 30
days. Migration job runs every six hours.

This configuration works in our environment for nearly three months.

Greetings
Sebastian