Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] storage daemon died again

2008-05-19 03:35:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] storage daemon died again
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:35:10 +0200
Hi,

19.05.2008 08:28, Maria McKinley wrote:
> Arno wrote:
>
>> The mount command should have been ok.
>>
>>> Would it have sorted
>>> things out, if I had just left it alone after moving the tape to the
>>> Weekly pool, or can I just not move tapes like this?
>> It would have sorted things out automatically at the next retry to
>> access a useable tape, too.
>>
>> This looks similar to something reported recently, and something I saw
>> at a customer - the SD simply died without any message.
>>
>> I could not reproduce this issue, by the way.
>>
>> If you can reproduce it, capture the debug log from the SD and report
>> it as a bug. I don't think you did anything wrong, and even if you
>> did, user errors must not lead to a SD crashing...
>>
>> Arno
>
> It happened again. How do I capture the debug log from the SD?

At SD start time, I usually do this by calling it '/path/to/bacula-sd
-c ... -d 100 2>&1 >/tmp/bacula-sd.trace'. That produces a log right
from the start, which is probably not necessary now... at runtime, you
use the bconsole command 'setdebug level=<number> trace=1
sd=<storage-name>' which will append the trace to a file in the SD's
working directory.

If you think you know how to trigger the failure, it's obviously
sufficient to issue the setdebug command shortly before that, and use
a high ebug level (400 or even above).

The resulting trace file can grow quite large, so you better trim it a
bit before sending to the list. Anything interesting will probably be
near the end...

Arno

> thanks,
> maria