Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] question reguarding autochanger use

2008-05-07 16:27:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] question reguarding autochanger use
From: Blake Dunlap <blake AT ISDN DOT NET>
To: 'John Drescher' <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:07:47 -0500
> >  Isn't the problem that a tape is currently loaded in the drive from
> >  slot X and then at some point a technician unloads the magazines and
> >  sees the empty slot X and puts a second tape in that slot so when
> >  bacula trys to unload the tape from the drive it can not return it to
> >  the slot that it was in before?
> >

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Blake Dunlap <blake AT isdn DOT net> wrote:
> > The autochanger automatically loads tapes in the first empty slot, but
> yes that is the problem.
>
> I am not sure if this is a bug with bacula, mtx or mtx-changer but it
> looks like a bug to me.
>
> For my autochanger I have always been very careful to avoid this
> situation every time I change tapes by taking note what slots were
> loaded before I unloaded the magazines. A second way I have used to
> avoid this is to release all the media before you add new tapes.
>
> John

After conferring with my other technicians, we have indeed been releasing all
drives before moving tapes around, and I have confirmed there are not any other
processes at work moving tapes around. It seems that Bacula's assumption that
the tape should return to the same slot (and it will be empty) is inaccurate.
Is there any way to not have Bacula assume the slot is open?

Blake