Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Win32 reparse points (junction points and volume mount points)

2008-05-01 11:38:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Win32 reparse points (junction points and volume mount points)
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 17:39:17 +0200
On Thursday 01 May 2008 16:57:47 Josh Fisher wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am now trying to work on the problems that the two of you are having
> > with the Bacula FD and Win32 reparse points. Christian's problems are
> > indicated in bug #1041, and Bob's problems are mentioned in a recent
> > email.  I believe that both of your problems are due to the same basic
> > problem -- the Win32 FD does not yet fully handle reparse points
> > correctly.
> >
> > I am having three problems working on this:
> >
> > 1. The two of you have indicated exactly opposite problems for version
> > 2.2.10-b1. Christian cannot get it to descend into mount points and Bob
> > sees it descending into junction points (to be confirmed).   I could
> > probably resolve this were it not for the next problem ...
> >
> > 2. I am unable to create any mount points on my computer (Windows Vista
> > Business).  I have tried setting a mount point to both a removable USB
> > key that I can easily mount, and to the CDROM drive, which I can also
> > easily mount, and I have tried both via the command line using "mountvol"
> > and in the Control Administrative Tools.  With the command line I get
> > "access denied", with the Control Panel, the button to assign a path is
> > always grayed out.  My account is running as administrator of the
> > machine.
>
> I would say it is already mounted, or in Windows terminology "assigned a
> drive letter", since automount is enabled by default. I don't think a
> partition can be assigned to a drive letter and a mount point at the
> same time, thus the access denied. Try unmounting the partition first
> using mountvol /p. Then you *SHOULD* be able to mount it at a mount
> point (NTFS folder) using either Disk Manager or the mountvol command.

Thanks. With the above advice and using an Adminstrative console as advised by
Martin, I was able to mount my USB key, but what a pain.  I didn't remember
how to copy and paste the Volume name, so had to type the whole thing!!!!

Needless to say, I remembered how to copy and paste in a command window after
the all typing :-)

Kern