Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Win32 reparse points (junction points and volume mount points)

2008-05-01 05:30:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Win32 reparse points (junction points and volume mount points)
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "Masopust, Christian" <christian.masopust AT siemens DOT com>, Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 11:29:47 +0200
Hello,

I am now trying to work on the problems that the two of you are having with
the Bacula FD and Win32 reparse points. Christian's problems are indicated in
bug #1041, and Bob's problems are mentioned in a recent email.  I believe
that both of your problems are due to the same basic problem -- the Win32 FD
does not yet fully handle reparse points correctly.

I am having three problems working on this:

1. The two of you have indicated exactly opposite problems for version
2.2.10-b1. Christian cannot get it to descend into mount points and Bob sees
it descending into junction points (to be confirmed).   I could probably
resolve this were it not for the next problem ...

2. I am unable to create any mount points on my computer (Windows Vista
Business).  I have tried setting a mount point to both a removable USB key
that I can easily mount, and to the CDROM drive, which I can also easily
mount, and I have tried both via the command line using "mountvol" and in the
Control Administrative Tools.  With the command line I get "access denied",
with the Control Panel, the button to assign a path is always grayed out.  My
account is running as administrator of the machine.

3. There are two additional partitions on my hard disk that could potentially
be used for testing.  One is the Sony  NTFS recovery partition, into which I
can boot.  However, via the control panel, I am unable to assign it a drive
letter -- it is just grayed out.  The second partition is an unformatted
partition (very small).  It too is always grayed out.  It is as if I have no
access or write permissions even though I am adminstrator.

Anyway, right at the moment, I have no way to test this and so no way to
efficiently resolve the problem.  At the moment, this problem is my number
one priority, so if you could give me feedback as quickly as possible, it
would be much appreciated as I only have a limited time to spend on this.

If any one else on these lists knows why I am blocked please let me know.

Best regards,

Kern