BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.1.1 and NFS shares

2017-04-21 19:40:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.1.1 and NFS shares
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:39:59 -0500
On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Bedynek, Matthew J. <bedynekmj AT ornl DOT
gov> wrote:
> All,
>
> With version 3 I am using Rsync instead of tar to backup a NFS share which
> the backupPC host has direct access to.  This has worked great with the
> exception that linking takes forever if there are a large number of files.
> I simply didn’t have much luck getting version 3 to work with tar and got
> rsync to work rather easily so stopped there.
>
> In the version 4 change log I noted that there were some improvements to
> linking so decided to give that a try.  However, with version 4, there have
> been changes to rsync such that am forced to use tar for a local copy.
>

> My V3 rsync config looked like:
>
> $Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'localhost';
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '*' => [
>     ‘/x/y/SEQ/IPTS-*'
>   ]
> };
> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = 'sudo -u username $rsyncPath $argList+';
> $Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = 'sudo -u username $rsyncPath $argList+’;
>

> I believe the RsyncClientCmd and RsyncClientRestoreCmd are gone in V4.  I did
> get Rsync to work with V4 but it seems to ssh to localhost which consumes
> additional host resources.
>
> Rsync isn’t a big deal since I have tar working now but am I correct in
> reading that Rsync might be better for incremental backups in terms of
> handling deletions?

If you think about what rysnc is supposed to do, it doesn't make much
sense to run both ends locally accessing data over NFS.    For any
file that is not skipped by the timestamp/length check in
incrementals, you are going to read the entire file over NFS so rsync
can compute the differences (where the usual point is to only send the
differences over the network).   Is there any way you can run rsync
remotely against the NFS host instead?