BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.1.1 and NFS shares

2017-04-21 18:10:34
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.1.1 and NFS shares
From: "Bedynek, Matthew J." <bedynekmj AT ornl DOT gov>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 22:09:50 +0000
All,

With version 3 I am using Rsync instead of tar to backup a NFS share which the
backupPC host has direct access to.  This has worked great with the exception
that linking takes forever if there are a large number of files.   I simply
didn’t have much luck getting version 3 to work with tar and got rsync to work
rather easily so stopped there.

In the version 4 change log I noted that there were some improvements to
linking so decided to give that a try.  However, with version 4, there have
been changes to rsync such that am forced to use tar for a local copy.

My V3 rsync config looked like:

$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'localhost';
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '*' => [
    ‘/x/y/SEQ/IPTS-*'
  ]
};
$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = 'sudo -u username $rsyncPath $argList+';
$Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = 'sudo -u username $rsyncPath $argList+’;

I believe the RsyncClientCmd and RsyncClientRestoreCmd are gone in V4.  I did
get Rsync to work with V4 but it seems to ssh to localhost which consumes
additional host resources.

Rsync isn’t a big deal since I have tar working now but am I correct in reading
that Rsync might be better for incremental backups in terms of handling
deletions?

-matt