BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New Installation - File System Questions

2017-04-19 13:00:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New Installation - File System Questions
From: Michael Huntley <michael AT huntley DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 09:59:58 -0700

Tough question.  People have their own preferences for particular file systems.  I have used ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs, & btrfs over the years with BackupPC.  In the end I prefer to use BTRFS.  I like the subvolume/snapshot capabilities and it works fabulous on ARM devices.

XFS has been very stable.  It's still running on a legacy CentOS system I admin with 20TB of storage.  I recently converted to 4.x and it continues to plug away.  Won't be changed until the system is retired.

So from my experience there are a number of very good file systems available; I chose one that provides capabilities I desire.

As to performance - my biggest challenge is always the network.  It can never be fast enough!

Cheers!

mph