BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] My BackupPC can not backup root folder

2017-04-11 08:36:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] My BackupPC can not backup root folder
From: Nathanaël Belvo <nathanael.belvo AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 14:35:30 +0200
Hello everyone,

I am a student using BackupPC to backup several servers.

I managed to backup multiple times with the rsync method, I properly applied ssh-keys on each hosts etc... and everything works well.

I'm saving the /home and /etc folders and I can retrieve files so I'm really happy with BackupPC so far.

BUT, after many attempts, it seems that I can't backup any of my hosts when I enter `/` in the RsyncShareName field. When I do so, backups take a huge amount of time to proceed and seem to never complete.

I also get this message in the Errors file :

2017-04-11 10:42:58 Started full backup on myserver (pid=14328, share=/)
2017-04-11 10:43:04 Backup failed on myserver (Unable to read 4 bytes)

I saw on many forums that the "Unable to read 4 bytes" error can occure because of ssh problems, but I'm pretty sure this is not the problem since I already succeeded backing servers in the past.

My intuition is that there are things mounted and that ssh can not resolve mounted stuff, but I'm not sure of anything.

BackupPC is installed on a fresh debian and it has 8Go of memory and enough disk space.

Any help would be appreciated !

--
Nathanaël