BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and acls / xattrs

2015-10-19 07:33:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and acls / xattrs
From: Robert Wooden <rbrtewdn AT comcast DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:30:54 +0000 (UTC)
Perhaps this will help.

From: "Nicola Ferrari (#554252)" <nicolafrr AT yahoo DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2015 3:26:51 AM

Hi robert, thank you for your response.

On 16/10/2015 13:35, Robert Wooden wrote:
> You have just found out that BPC v3.3.* does not support backing up ACL
> and xattr file permissions. (Sorry)
> Several months ago I posted a similar question and Craig suggested that
> I try BPC v4.0 as it supported ACL and xattr backup.
> I did install BPC v4.0.
> Sadly, it too has some problem with errors when activating ACL and xattr
> options.
> I have asked similar questions in the past and they have "fallen on deaf
> eyes."
> Apparently the ACL and xattr attributes feature are too new . . . yet.
> I ended up finding a way to backup those ACL and xattr directories with
> a rsync command with the "-A" and "-X" options activated.

Sorry but I cant understand. -A -X options are already activated in the
rsync command in my xfer configuration in backuppc.
Do I have to upgrade to BackupPC 4.0 ?

As I understood it, Craig had been spending time developing BPC v4.0 and something within BPC v3.3.* version of perl-rsync needed to be re-configured or re-coded to allow the "-A" and "-X" switches to function properly. He had already made those changes within v4.0.

Yes, there within v3.3.* is the option to activate the "-A" and "-X" switches but they do not work (for me.)

When installing v4.0 users also install a special version of rsync-bpc that should allow use of the "-A" and "-X" options of rsync. In my case, one of these "-A" or "-X" switches (sorry, do not remember which one) causes the backup to fail. The logs indicate that the code failure is within the rsync-bpc program code. I searched and searched but could not find info on the rsync-bpc modifications.

I am not a code programmer but simply a user who needed functionality to protect vital systems. So, I never 'dug into' the rsync-bpc codes to determine what went wrong. Rather, I simply found a solution and that was to backup that directory with rsync manually (if you will) to a different computer.

> What I discovered (and I could be wrong) is that the problem lies in
> 'rsync-bpc-3.0.9.3' that has been written by Craig Barratt (I think.) I
> am sure he will have time, at some point in the future, to correct the
> issue.

So the one that comes installed with backuppc in debian, isn't the
"original" rsync executable?

Thanks

You are confusing the two versions of BPC. When installing v3.3.* on Debian it uses the rsync version that comes with Debian's repository. When installing v4.0 there are two dependencies to install before the BPC tarball install. One of them being rsync-bpc-3.0.9.3 which is used by v4.0. You could install v4.0 and try it. It may act differently with Debian OS. My v4.0, that is failing, is installed on CentOS 7.

Bob