BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and acls / xattrs

2015-10-16 07:38:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and acls / xattrs
From: Robert Wooden <rbrtewdn AT comcast DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 11:35:58 +0000 (UTC)
You have just found out that BPC v3.3.* does not support backing up ACL and xattr file permissions. (Sorry)
Several months ago I posted a similar question and Craig suggested that I try BPC v4.0 as it supported ACL and xattr backup.
I did install BPC v4.0.
Sadly, it too has some problem with errors when activating ACL and xattr options.
I have asked similar questions in the past and they have "fallen on deaf eyes."
Apparently the ACL and xattr attributes feature are too new . . . yet.
I ended up finding a way to backup those ACL and xattr directories with a rsync command with the "-A" and "-X" options activated.
What I discovered (and I could be wrong) is that the problem lies in 'rsync-bpc-3.0.9.3' that has been written by Craig Barratt (I think.) I am sure he will have time, at some point in the future, to correct the issue.