BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackuPC with Monit

2015-10-15 03:49:45
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackuPC with Monit
From: madams9 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 00:47:49 -0700
Thanks much for all the attention and good ideas. I have done some research and
some thinking on this and I believe I have a resolution.

As near as I can tell, monitoring processes like BackupPC with Monit is pretty
much limited to indicating whether or not that process is running. There seems
to be no provision for automating restarts for those types of services without
a whole lot of coding that Monit seems ill suited for. Testing and reacting to
these kinds of processes is not something Monit does well and it would take
some additional scripting outside Monit to cope with this sort of thing.

Consequently, I'm setting Monit to tell me whether the process is running or
not and that's it. This seems okay for now, but I continue to look into finding
a way to test these things to determine whether they are running and at least
sending an alert.

Again I appreciate the attention.

Mark