BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackuPC with Monit

2015-10-12 12:19:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackuPC with Monit
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:00:12 -0400
On 10/11 03:28 , madams9 wrote:
> ## BACKUP PC
> check process backuppc with pidfile "/var/log/backuppc/BackupPC.pid"
> start program "/usr/sbin/service backuppc start"
> stop program "/usr/sbin/service backuppc stop"
> if failed host adamsmdk port 16073 proto http then restart # change if not
> listening locally
> ###
>
> Obviously, that last line is trash because the backuppc socket process starts
> a different port everytime it's initiated. Aside from that, I have no idea
> how monit is supposed to test for the presence of backuppc.

Hmm, the stock monitrc file provides the following suggestion among others:
#    if failed url http://user:password AT www.foo DOT bar:8080/?querystring
#       and content == 'action="j_security_check"'

So perhaps monit could log into the BackupPC host and check one of bpc's
output pages for certain content.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator