BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate with only certain types of files

2015-05-23 19:24:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate with only certain types of files
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 19:21:07 -0400
Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote on 05/23/2015 09:29:25 AM:

> for the archives: you don't strictly *need* the free space. You can pipe the
> output of BackupPC_tarCreate directly into a 'tar x' and tell tar to only
> extract files named '*.pdf', something like
>
>    BackupPC_tarCreate -h host -n 123 -s /share /path \
>       | tar xf - --wildcards '*.pdf' '*.PDF'

Forget the archives:  I appreciate the tip.  It'd be nice to avoid all the I/O to have BackupPC stream all that data just so it can end up in the bit bucket, but at least it doesn't end up on my disk again, too!  :)

> This seems to be another good case for using the fuse module. You can navigate
> the backup view (or run a 'find', 'rsync', ...) at a relatively low cost and
> only need to read/decompress the file data you actually act on - andyou don't
> need any intermediate storage space.

I completely forgot about that.  I've already done most of the data so far, but that's an excellent suggestion, too.

once again, thank you.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!