BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate with only certain types of files

2015-05-22 16:26:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate with only certain types of files
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 15:24:56 -0500
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I need to restore all PDF files from a particular backup share.  It's 30,000
> files scattered around thousands of locations.  So, I was hoping to use
> BackupPC_tarCreate to do it.  But I'm striking out.
>
> This works:
>
> ./BackupPC_tarCreate -l -h server -n 918 -s E "/Shares/Shared"
>
> But this does not:
>
> ./BackupPC_tarCreate -l -h server -n 918 -s E "/Shares/Shared/*.pdf"
>

> What am I missing?  How do I get BackupPC_tarCreate to create a tar file that
> contains all PDF's stored in that path?
>
> Thank you very much for any support you can give me.  I've tried different
> escapings/not-escapings etc to be able to achieve this and I'm out of ideas!
> :)

Can't help with BackupPC_tarCreate's wildcard concepts but at the
expense of a lot of overhead you could let backuppc generate a tar of
the whole top-level directory (like your first command above) and
specify the '*.pdf' selection to the extracting tar to get what you
want.