BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] manual start backup on dhcp laptop

2015-05-20 18:38:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] manual start backup on dhcp laptop
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: zdravko <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, zdravko.balorda AT gmail DOT com
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 00:34:47 +0200
Hi,

zdravko wrote on 2015-05-20 12:56:29 -0700 [[BackupPC-users]  manual start
backup on dhcp laptop]:
> Obviously it is both.

what is "it"? Both of what?

Network administration can be quite complicated and is beyond the scope of
this *mailing list*. From what I remember from this poor imitation of a mail
thread (I know why I hate Backup Central), I'm not surprised. It's perfectly
possible (though usually not sensible) to masquerade outgoing connections (as
seen by the VPN endpoint) from a routeable IP while passing through incoming
connections unaltered. In a Linux firewall, you'd have to -m state --state
NEW in the SNAT rule in order to match outgoing traffic but not the return
packets for incoming traffic (though when I think about it, I think that's
implicit, i.e. the nat table is only considered for new connections anyway).

I can't tell you how to switch off masquerading on some random network
appliance, just that you probably want to switch it off (presuming you don't
need it for something else ... really hard to guess from here).

As for the matter of DHCP, there are valid uses for non-static IPs, and there
are cases where assigning static IPs (with DHCP, if you are so inclined) makes
more sense. If you use non-static IPs, you will need some method of resolving
host names. That could be DNS or WINS. Frankly, my knowledge of BackupPC's
handling of 'DHCP' hosts is somewhat limited, and I don't much care about the
topic, because I would avoid using it if at all possible (I *can* read config
file comments, though). But that is your choice, as is the setup of your
network.

I can tell you this much: if your client host had a static IP (whether or not
assigned by DHCP), things would be simple.

What is your $Conf {DHCPAddressRanges} set to? Does your host have the 'dhcp'
flag set to 0 or 1 in the hosts file?

> Go figure. :)

That's the whole point. We can't.

> Seems that this IP forwarding is one layer to many.

Seems you haven't got a deep enough understanding of your network topology.
Hint: without the *forwarding*, you wouldn't be able to connect across the
VPN.

Regards,
Holger