BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Filesystem for OSX/BackupPC external drive

2015-05-16 23:54:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Filesystem for OSX/BackupPC external drive
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 22:52:24 -0500
On 2015-05-16 09:39, Ward... James Ward wrote:
> Can anyone help me?

Sure, but before starting with the immediate issue, I'd be remiss if I
didn't mention that this is probably a BAD IDEA.  I'd expect performance
to be fairly dismal, and all kinds of terrible things can happen when
the drive is unplugged.  For now, I'll assume you have a use case which
consists of a small amount of data you don't care about.

OSX assumes a new external volume is portable, and since it can't make
sense of account and file ownership across computers, it simply disabled
this feature.  You can enable ownership in the Info window for the
volume.

Not that it should be in one of the Mac OS Extended formats, and you'll
want to uncheck the "Ignore ownership and permissions" option at the
bottom.