BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] All incr fail(SIGPIPE) all full complete - cygwin/W7

2015-05-13 21:27:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] All incr fail(SIGPIPE) all full complete - cygwin/W7
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 20:25:32 -0500
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 7:02 PM,  <fred AT damen DOT org> wrote:
> Both computers are on the same LAN.  There should be no firewalls between them
> except on the BackupPC server(linux) and client (windows).

I think even the windows host firewall can have a state timeout.

>  From the XferLOG
> it appears as though this was a quite active connection.  Is there a way to
> time stamp these log messages so that the duration of an idle period can be
> detected.

If you were watching you might catch timestamps in the 'new' directory.

> Does the rsync running on the client first determine all the files that are to
> be sent and then send the list back to the BackupPC server (i.e., batch) or
> does the rsync client spew the list as it is being produced (i.e.,
> continuous).  I would suspect that it is not batch, as this would produce then
> same results in the full backup case.

No, it sends an equivalent of the whole directory tree, then both
sides walk it sending the differences.  In the incremental case, it
will skip files where the name/length/timestamp match the previous
copy.  When backuppc does a full, it adds the --ignore-times option to
rsync, forcing it to read everything and compare block checksums.
Normally an incremental run with few changes will complete quickly.
Do you have a large number running concurrently?

> >From the fact that the incr backup was started immediately after the full
> backup, I would expect to see a very small XferLOG.  In which I could imagine
> there being a long time between rsync on the client finding and reporting a
> file to be backed-up. With the size of the XferLOG (thousands of lines) I find
> it hard to imaging that there was silent period causing a timeout.

Is the number realistic?  Maybe you have odd timestamps/ownership or
something that the server can't match.

> Note the summary page for this client says backup #11 is type full, yet the
> XfreLOG say it is a incr.

No idea about that.