BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows VSS Snapshot and cygwin-rsyncd

2015-03-25 21:38:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows VSS Snapshot and cygwin-rsyncd
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: Antonio Sanguigni <a.sanguigni AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 01:37:00 +0000
Hi!

> > I would recommend using this:
> > http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/
> to manage remote backup over internet. So I had to open 2 ports on
> ADSL router (I can recall winexe is 139), two port on windows
> firewall; compiling the package and I don't have too much control over

        DO NOT EVER OPEN windows RPC ports to the net!!

        For a remote windows, you must create a vpn or similar...

        You can install openvpn (server or client, you choose who
starts the connection) or install a ssh in windows and use it instead
of the winexe. There are many docs in the net how to install a ssh in
windows and use it with backuppc... but you might need to fine tune
the scripts to add the shadow copy scripts to it. Either ways you will
only open one port with a safer service (don't forget to keep it
updated)

good luck
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a