BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows VSS Snapshot and cygwin-rsyncd

2015-03-18 15:44:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows VSS Snapshot and cygwin-rsyncd
From: Henry Burroughs <hburroughs AT stjohnseagles DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:18:00 -0400
That is a sticky situation.   Are you restricting the source ports that can connect to your router?  Otherwise any other computer on the Internet can make connections on those ports (and that is very bad).   How many remote computers are you trying to backup?  I would recommend CrashPlan (Free version) for those instances.  You can run CrashPlan on the remote computer and it will backup to another Crashplan instance on a server/computer of your choice.  I do that for my mother and sister who live out of town.  They backup to my NAS which is running an instance of Crashplan (I backup to Crashplan's Cloud for my own files.....you can't beat the price they have for unlimited data).

Henry

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Antonio Sanguigni <a.sanguigni AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I would recommend using this:
>
> http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/
>
> I switched from a cygwin installation to Michael's client.  Works great.

Yes I had a look and it works very well on LAN. My problem is I have
to manage remote backup over internet. So I had to open 2 ports on
ADSL router (I can recall winexe is 139), two port on windows
firewall; compiling the package and I don't have too much control over
VPS I had ecc.. But I will have a look again, thank you.

Antonio

--
Antonio Sanguigni alias slapshot
Servizi informatici Windows e GNU/Linux- http://www.pieroni.biz