BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup-PC Project

2015-03-17 09:51:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup-PC Project
From: Heuzé Florent <heuzef AT firewall-services DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 14:49:47 +0100
Hello everyone,

So I returned to you on the development of PC's Backup plugin for  human checking.
Reminder, in my business, integrity of backups are carried out by human with the Backup-PC interface.
This is repetitive, lengthy task. The aim is therefore to create a plugin to get information quickly and efficiently needed for these manual checks.
I communicated this project to the Backup-PC community to collect your opinions, advice, support and ideas. I also invite you to share your experience if you have the same problem.

Thanks to sharuzzaman, dick and Moiseev for their advice (09/26/2014).
The first phase of analysis is now complete now and these are the functions that emerge:

FEATURES

F1: We help ensure the reliability of backups of our customers.
-> This is the main function, it will verify some control points (last backup age, xfer errors, size coherency, average backups duration, random file extraction, etc ...).

F2: Allow us to inform our customers of the status of backups performed.
-> Generating a report (probably in PDF format)

F3: Allow us to monitor the free space hard disk
-> Mainly to ensure that the hard disks still have free space (add a clear warning in case used space is above a defined threshold)

F4: We allow action on GLPI.
-> We use mainly GLPI and traceability is crucial for us. We hope so integrated function for that. (open a new ticket in case an error is detected with a single click)

CONSTRAINTS

C1 : (...)

C2 : (...)

C3: Must be compatible with the software stacks we use.
-> For us, this will be on CentOS (~ RHEL) versions 5, 6 and 7.

C4: Must integrate with BackupPC.
-> We always use BackupPC, v3.1 and above. Ideally, it shouldn't require changes in BackupPC's core code.

C5: Must be adapt to existing backups.
-> No changes on Backup for the operation of this plugin.

C6: Must be shared with community BackupPC
-> Probably a GIT repository.

C7 Must not disrupt the operation of BackupPC
-> And of course, let's not all do fail!

Feel free to give me your opinion about this, is the last step before validation to begin development of the plugin.
(Of course, we will provide a GIT repository as soon as possible, the plugin under the GPL licence like BackupPC).

Kind regard,
--
Heuzé Florent
FIREWALL-SERVICES SARL.