BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Pluggable setup

2015-03-15 11:25:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Pluggable setup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:23:32 -0500
On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:57 AM, Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
wrote:
> Hi All,
> I already sent this Yesterday, but I didn't see it on the list (and neither
> saw any answer), so I'm resending it.
> Pardon me if You see it twice.
>
> Hi,
> I need to backup a large (6T+) NAS on some removable storage.
> Since I have lots of duplicates I would really like to use BackupPC for the
> task.
> I would thus like to set-up several external hard drives (<2T) with BackupPC
> each dedicated to backup a subset of the NAS.
> When one of the removables is connected I would like to (automatically) start
> the pertinent backup.
> Is this configuration supported somehow?
> What are the Best Practices in this usage case?
> NOTE: I know I will lose deduplication across different "sections", but the
> effect can be lessened by thoughtful partitioning and I can live with that.

I think no one answered because no else one is doing it that way.  I'd
either try some of the newer 5TB externals and hope the
dedup/compression is enough to hold the whole thing or do an install
from the sourceforge tarball on each of your smaller hard drives.
Doing your own install instead using a packaged version lets you pick
the location for all of the components so you can make sure everything
involved has separate copies on each drive.   And then you'll need
some sort of script to start it up - and maybe you can find a way to
make that autoexecute when the drive is connected.