BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Advatage/s to running rsyncd vs rsync?

2014-09-25 20:45:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Advatage/s to running rsyncd vs rsync?
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:44:15 +1000
On 26/09/14 03:48, Michael Stowe wrote:
> On 2014-09-25 12:17, xpac wrote:
>> I have a small production environment currently with six Centos 6
>> servers, one of which also serves as my BackupPC server.  Currently I
>> have it configured to use rsync as the transfer method, I'm just
>> wondering if it makes sense to switch over to rsyncd?  More
>> specifically, what advantages, if any could I expect?
>>
>> I've googled a bit and found varying opinions but for people using
>> rsync and rsyncd for things other than strictly BackupPC so I thought
>> this would be a good place to ask.
> This has come up a few times, so you may want to check the archives for
> a complete answer, but the short answer is: rsyncd has no advantages
> over rsync+ssh (except for the dubious advantage of not having to run
> sshd) and imposes additional requirements.
Personally, because I already use ssh, and key based authentication, it
is much easier to run rsync over that, (ie, ports are open, firewall
issues are already resolved, etc).

However, rsyncd can be an advantage to reduce the overhead of encryption
(if your backup client is very low powered/embedded device). Also, it
will do a better job of restricting the commands that can be executed
(ie, only files can be read/written, as opposed to any command, possibly
even by-passing restricted commands you tried to configure if there is
some bug in the way you have configured this etc).

So, as always, there is more than one way to do this, and you can choose
the solution that meets your individual needs, which may (will) vary
from somebody else.

Regards,
Adam

--