BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Advatage/s to running rsyncd vs rsync?

2014-09-25 14:01:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Advatage/s to running rsyncd vs rsync?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:00:31 -0500
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Michael Stowe
<mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:
> On 2014-09-25 12:17, xpac wrote:
>> I have a small production environment currently with six Centos 6
>> servers, one of which also serves as my BackupPC server.  Currently I
>> have it configured to use rsync as the transfer method, I'm just
>> wondering if it makes sense to switch over to rsyncd?  More
>> specifically, what advantages, if any could I expect?
>>
>> I've googled a bit and found varying opinions but for people using
>> rsync and rsyncd for things other than strictly BackupPC so I thought
>> this would be a good place to ask.
>
> This has come up a few times, so you may want to check the archives for
> a complete answer, but the short answer is: rsyncd has no advantages
> over rsync+ssh (except for the dubious advantage of not having to run
> sshd) and imposes additional requirements.

Well, be sure you grab your distribution's very recent bash security
update if you are counting on being able to restrict the command you
can execute over ssh.   But other than that, I agree - using ssh is
easier.   You would have the option of making rsyncd 'read only' but
then you couldn't do direct restores.