BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Long-Term Backups/Rotation

2014-09-22 13:21:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Long-Term Backups/Rotation
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:19:51 -0400
On 9/22/2014 2:33 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

That looks pretty conclusive to me.  What needs to be clarified.

[4,0,12,0,0,0,10]

4 backups at 1 week
0 backups at 2 weeks
12 backups at 4 weeks
0 backups at 8 weeks
0 backups at 16 weeks
0 backups at 32 weeks
10 backups at 64 weeks

The monthly backups are actually slightly less than a month.  If you
want a full year, you should do 13 of them.

The yearly backups at 64 weeks are actually about 14.7 months apart, so
they're not quite yearly.  You could increase the number of monthly
backups if you want full coverage or switch to 32-week backups instead.

Keep in mind that due to pooling, backups do not take up nearly as much
space as you expect (only enough to account for the changed files), so
you will be able to keep many more backups than you think you can.

--
Bowie