BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync 3.09 fails on windows symlinkd

2014-09-17 10:52:38
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.09 fails on windows symlinkd
From: Russell R Poyner <rpoyner AT engr.wisc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:51:04 -0500
I've been using a powershell script to create shadow copies and link
them to the filesystem in order to expose them to rsyncd. This works
with my oldish copy of DeltaCopy rsync, but when I use the current
cygwin-rsync package from the BackupPC web site I'm not able to follow
the link.

If I tell it to follow the link:
  rsync -r -L rsyncuser@host::shadow
symlink has no referent: "C" (in shadow)
drwxr-xr-x           0 2014/09/17 11:32:30 .
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code 23) at main.c(1538) [generator=3.0.9]

If I don't tell it to follow the link:
  rsync -r
behdadrsync AT cbe-win7amd64.che.wisc DOT edu::shadowdrwxr-xr-x           0
2014/09/17 11:37:30 .
lrwxrwxrwx          54 2014/09/17 11:37:30 C

On the windows side:
dir c:\shadow

09/17/2014  09:27 AM   <SYMLINKD>     C
[\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume....

I have use "chroot = no" in rsyncd.conf

I've also tried a variety of links related switches on the rsync client.

Googling "symlink has no referent: windows"
turns up a few other people with this problem

Anyone been able to solve this one?

Thanks
Russ Poyner