BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync remote to local dir first, backup local, restore to remote?

2014-09-11 09:21:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync remote to local dir first, backup local, restore to remote?
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 15:19:14 +0200
On 26.8.2014 11:05, Pavel Hofman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When backing-up our remote servers, we always get broken pipe. Simply
> the receiving end (backuppc extracting tar) stalls for too long and the
> sending part breaks the connection. OK, I understand.
>
> I can rsync the remote server to local dir first, backing-up from this
> dir. It works fine, I have the DumpPreUserCmd rsyncing script ready.
>
> But, I would like to be able to restore to the remote machine directly,
> with correct paths, without the local dir prefix. Is such mode of
> operation supported by backuppc?

I ended up with this scheme:

backup
-------
* DumpPreUserCmd - sudo rsync remote-dir local-dir incl. list of  excludes
* backing up the local dir using sudo rsync...

restore:
-------
* RestorePreUserCmd - sudo sshfs remote-dir local-dir
* restoring to local dir using sudo rsync....
* RestorePostUserCmd - sudo umount ....

It seems to work OK, I just have to make sure backup and restore
operations do not run concurrently. I wish there was a way to tell
Backuppc to lock out the other one automatically. The mutual locking is
doable using scripts though...

Regards,

Pavel.