BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] possible to re-run BackupPC_link after failures?

2014-02-28 18:05:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] possible to re-run BackupPC_link after failures?
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:03:31 +0000
Hi Robert:

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:23:00AM -0500, Robert Jacobson wrote:
> However, I imagine I now have a lot of wasted space due to all the
> linking that did not occur while the permissions were wrong.  And I
> think that BackupPC_link removed all the "NewFileList" files,
> despite that the linking failed.
>
> So, is it at all possible to force the linking to run again?  I
> tried just doing
> ${BACKUPPC_PATH}/BackupPC_link hostname
>
> But it just looks like it exited right away -- as I said, I think
> because the NewFileList files are gone.

Yeah, that's most likely the case.

You can look into using:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=BackupPC_FixLinks

by Jeff Kosowsky. You should also check the mailing list archives in
case there is a newer version in the archives.

> If it's not possible (or practical) to rerun the link process --
> will the wasted space basically gradually go down when future
> backups occur (assuming future linking works)?

Yes, as your old backups with unlinked files expire, you will reclaim
that space.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111