BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] possible to re-run BackupPC_link after failures?

2014-02-28 11:24:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] possible to re-run BackupPC_link after failures?
From: Robert Jacobson <Robert.C.Jacobson AT nasa DOT gov>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:23:00 -0500

About a month ago I upgraded my BackupPC server from a older Linux release to a new one.  The BackupPC package is BackupPC-3.2.1 from EPEL.

Unfortunately, the backuppc UID changed, and the permissions in the cpool were not correct.  So I got a lot of these kind of errors:
BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling MakeFileLink(/coraid/BackupPC/pc/gto/260/f%2f/fhome/fasist/f.gconfd/fsaved_state, 9c3096761bd4daff1d2321fadbef16b5, 1)
The backups looked like they were working, so I didn't fix it right away.  I just now finally got around to fixing the errors by fixing the permissions on the cpool directory.

However, I imagine I now have a lot of wasted space due to all the linking that did not occur while the permissions were wrong.  And I think that BackupPC_link removed all the "NewFileList" files, despite that the linking failed.

So, is it at all possible to force the linking to run again?  I tried just doing
${BACKUPPC_PATH}/BackupPC_link hostname

But it just looks like it exited right away -- as I said, I think because the NewFileList files are gone.

If it's not possible (or practical) to rerun the link process -- will the wasted space basically gradually go down when future backups occur (assuming future linking works)?

--
Robert Jacobson               Robert.C.Jacobson AT nasa DOT gov