BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup seem to fail after premature child issue

2014-02-24 07:01:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup seem to fail after premature child issue
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "Prem" <squirrelj AT yahoo DOT com>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 05:59:59 -0600
> Hi,
>
> While the backup in progress and the client (i.e. VM) goes down (e.g.
> paused), the backup when resumed always tend to fail. It does not resume
> back from where it stopped and it as well hinders the subsequent backup.
>
> Appreciate some advise on  how to overcome this.
>
> Regards,
> Prem.

I'm going to go out on a limb here ... don't stop the machine you're
backing up in the middle of a backup, perhaps?  I'm not sure what kind of
magic you're expecting to happen.

BackupPC doesn't know why the system went down, so it would generally be a
poor assumption to pick up backing up "where it left off."  You don't
specify what backup method or operating system you're using, but I'm not
even sure it matters, since the advice is pretty much the same:  don't do
that.