BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first time full and then only increamental backup

2013-12-20 00:06:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first time full and then only increamental backup
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:04:53 +1100
On 20/12/13 15:30, niraj_vara wrote:
> Hi
>
>    Let me clear why I doing the same. I am using the rsync command sinc very
> long time.
>
> My concern is Right now In backuppc default is that it will take a full
> backup and then increamnetal backup for the few days. and then after again
> take a full backup and then increamnetal backup for some days ...... this
> will go on ......
>
> For example if one of user having a 100GB data that backuppc taking the
> backup of that user.
>
> so what happened in this condition first time taking 100 GB data suppose its
> taking a 4-5 hours first time!!
> second,third,fourth.... and so on  it will take the increamental so the time
> will be very less time  !!!! right !!!!
> But in backuppc after 6 backup its taking again full backup ...!!!!! will
> take 4-5 hours !!!!!!! why this required !!!!!
>

> instead I want that it will take only the increamental backup so the time
> will be less !!!!! and we have already the full backup so it will take only
> the whatever updated !!! so time will be less  and less resource will be used
> both end !!! right ???
>
> That's why I want to go for the increamental backup !! Please correct if I
> wrong.

The reason backuppc takes so long for the additional full backup is
because it verifies that the *content* of every file is actually correct
(matches between server and client).

You should enable checksum-seed, and this will reduce full backup times
*after* the 2nd or 3rd full backup.

However, ultimately it will depend on how quickly the client (machine
being backed up) can read the entire contents from it's disk and compute
the checksums.... Also if the client or backup server has insufficient
RAM (ie lots of files) then this will slow things down too.

So, if a full backup is still taking too long for your backup window,
then you should find out why and fix that problem, or else reduce the
performance impact of backups so that it doesn't matter how long they
take, or make sure you understand *why* a full backup takes so long, and
what you will not backup if you only do incremental backups (and/or
remove the ignore-times option from the backuppc code for full backups).
Each option has risks, you need to understand those risks before making
the decision.

Regards,
Adam

--