BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with making only 1 FullBackup

2013-12-12 11:40:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with making only 1 FullBackup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:39:00 -0600
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM, mitschelHH
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> im testing BackupPC for our needs.
>
> We have some Servers with many data (+1TB). I only want creat ONE FullBackup
> and 5 Incr-Backups - one for every weekday (the newest wipes the oldes)- for
> these data Servers and 1 full with 1 incr for unimportant stuff.
> Im playing arround with that $Conf{FullPeriod} setting. Inserting a -1 oder 0
> doesnt workt at all aft making a fullbackup by hand.
>
> With a -1 will also stop the Incr-Backup Schedule.
>
> - How can i do that? (1 Full by hand and afterwards only incr will be made)
>
> Does somebody have an advice for me? :)

First, be sure that you understand how backuppc pools files, and that
keeping more history online will only use additional space for files
that have changed - and even that will be compressed.   You can
probably keep many more copies than you expect.   And you will always
keep the full versions that back any incrementals - so expect to see
at least 2 preserved until the whole number of increments you have are
based on the most current full.

I think setting FullPeriod to a very large number would do what you
are asking, but it seems like a bad idea.  Incrementals not based on
rsync are based on timestamps can miss things like old files under
renamed directories or files copied in ways the preserve old
timestamps so you need frequent fulls to rebase them.  Incrementals
based on rsync wont actually transfer unchanged files anyway, and the
changes grow and grow over time as the backing full ages.   I'd
recommend letting the fulls happen at some regular interval even on
the less important targets.  They do take longer because rsync will
read the files and compute checksums even though the unchanged data is
not transferred, but there is some value both in checking the
underlying disk media and in rebasing the backup copies.