BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup schedule during specific period of time

2013-06-17 13:05:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup schedule during specific period of time
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:04:21 -0400
On 6/17/2013 10:31 AM, masoodmx wrote:
> Could anyone please tell me, how can I configure backuppc to set a specific
> period of time for a host to do backup? i.e I want to have a plan to make
> backup for a host only between 18:00 and 20:00
>
> Thanks in advance

You cannot limit the length or end time of a backup.  Once it starts, it
will finish no matter how long it takes.  What you can do is limit the
start times.

I would do something like this:

   $Conf{BlackoutPeriods} = [
         {
             hourBegin =>  20.5,
             hourEnd   => 17.5,
             weekDays  => [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6],
         },
    ];

This specifies that no backups will be started for this host between
10:30pm and 5:30pm on any day.  So assuming an hourly wakeup schedule,
the backup could be started at 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, or 10pm.

If you need to schedule more tightly, I would suggest disabling the
automatic schedule and starting the backup manually via a cron job.

For example:

00 21 * * 0 /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg backup host1
host1 backuppc 1

This starts a full backup of host1 at 21:00 every Sunday.  The number at
the end specifies the type of backup (1 = Full, 0 = Incremental).
"backuppc" is the name of the BackupPC user and this should be in that
user's crontab.  And, yes, you DO have to put the host name in there twice.

--
Bowie