BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Lost /var/lib/backuppc

2013-03-20 07:32:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Lost /var/lib/backuppc
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:31:29 +0000
On 2013-03-19 23:46, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> So, I had a separate drive dedicated to /var/lib/backuppc where all the
> backups were stored and other obviously important directories. But that
> drive experienced total failure and I've replaced it. What do I need to do
> to get backuppc to reconfigure that drive with all the directories it
> needs. When I try to start backuppc it complains that it can't create a
> test hardlink between files in directories thereunder.

Hi Curtis,

You should take the other's advice first and see what's there. Never
blindly run commands people like me put in email unless you understand what
they'll do. That said, here's the quick setup instructions, assuming a
normal Ubuntu install with a "backuppc" user:

1. Make sure the new filesystem is a Linux filesystem with hardlink
support, like ext4, reiserfs, or xfs. If not, reformat.

2. Run as root:

cd /var/lib/backuppc
mkdir cpool log pc pool trash
chown -R backuppc:backuppc /var/lib/backuppc

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Anyone who truly understands UI design realizes that every preference
option is an admission of defeat: it's there because you couldn't just