BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Connection failed, nt status bad network name

2013-03-08 18:29:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Connection failed, nt status bad network name
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:28:07 -0600
On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
wrote:

> I am setting up BackupPC for the first time and it is failing to connect to
> the first test client.  The error that BackupPC is giving me is shown below.
>
> Error:
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
>
> Then later I see this at the top of the Host Summary Page:
> Pings to jab-opti755 have failed 23 consecutive times.

Do the target's have their host firewalls enabled?

> My hypothesis, is that I do not have proper NetBios name resolution (or
> caching) occurring within my network.

If you have fixed IP's and they are in DNS it shouldn't matter.

> However, from Bacteria I can't get a listing of NetBios names.
>
> [root@bacteria ~]# findsmb

Will this show netbios name?
nmblookup -A 192.168.112.125

> If there is any additional information that is needed to help pinpoint the
> problem, or identify a solution, let me know.  My knowledge of NetBios
> naming is pretty limited, so I am looking for some expert guidance to
> resolve this issue.

Try using smbclient to connect to the shares you are trying to back
up, using the same names and credentials.  You might get better error
messages in an interactive mode.