BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC-Visualize - visual plot of host backup durations

2013-01-28 13:12:55
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC-Visualize - visual plot of host backup durations
From: Carl Cravens <ccravens AT excelii DOT com>
To: BackupPC-Users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:46:48 -0600
I've written a little tool to help analyze BackupPC "scheduling" that I thought
others might find useful.  It is meant to generate plots that can be viewed
from the web, but it's just as easily used from the command line.

https://github.com/ravenx99/backuppc-visualize/

Over the past year+ that we've been using BackupPC at my company, we've
struggled with getting all our machines backed up every 24 hours.  We have over
60 Linux and Windows hosts, and over half of those are virtual machines all
attached to a single EMC storage server, and a single full backup of all the
hosts is at 2 TB of data after dedupe.

Because of the load backups create on our VMs, our default is to blackout 6 AM
to 6 PM, and then allow only trivial machines to back up during the day.  We
restrict the number of concurrent backups to 3, due to the serious load it
creates on a VM host when more than one of its guests is being backed up at the
same time.

This has caused a problem with getting backups of critical machines on a
24-hour cycle.  In order to see how the backups are interacting, I wrote
BackupPC-Visualize to create a broken-bar plot (a "timeline") indicating the
time during which each backup ran over the last N days.  This aggregate view of
the data quickly identified our problem machines.  (Our solution has been to
use cron to force the full backups of problem machines to run on the weekend.
A kludge, and I'd like to find a more elegant solution.)

bpcviz consists of a simple Perl script that gathers and massages the
/var/lib/backuppc/pc/<host>/backups data, and a Ploticus plot script to convert
the data to visual form.  I tried to use Gnuplot initially, but it won't do
horizontal plots, and it handles multiple-interval time data very poorly (via a
kludge).

Let me know if you find it useful, and I'm open to considering feature
requests... you can open an "issue" on Github tagged as "enhancement", or just
drop me an email if Github is a barrier for you.

(I hope the author of BackupPC doesn't object to the name... it's the most
obvious way to make it clear that this tool works with BackupPC.)

--
Carl D Cravens (ccravens AT excelii DOT com), Ext 228 (620.327.1228)
Lead System Architect