BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Process for Overriding hosts configuration

2012-07-09 21:07:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Process for Overriding hosts configuration
From: "Bryan Keadle (.net)" <bkeadle AT keadle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 20:05:45 -0500
Thanks Les for you input.

I'm aware of the NEW=OLD feature, that is nice.

I did get things working the way I want.  My "self provisioning" is a matter of my end users going to http://BackupPC, click on a Provisioning link, and they're prompted for authentication (against our LDAP directory)
Inline image 1

 if successful, a back end process with add the workstation they're logging in from to the /etc/BackupPC/hosts file; and now, if they are on an Windows XP machine, we create a /etc/BackupPC/pc/computername.pl file with this content:
$Conf{SmbShareName} = [
  'c$'
];
and now they have the "XP" BackupFilesExclude configuration.
Inline image 2

This takes me out of having to manage initial configurations, and end users can "opt in" without my involvement.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Bryan Keadle (.net) <bkeadle AT keadle DOT net> wrote:
> The Windows 7 Junctions (which fail) are important directories in Windows
> XP, and I've made an effort to exclude all the junctions from Windows 7.

Not sure what you meant by provisioning, but maybe you can use an
existing config as a template.   For example if you are adding hosts
in the web interface you can specify NEW=OLD in the host field and it
will add the NEW host with a copy of all of the host-specific settings
from the existing OLD host.