BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] restore from a read only file system possible?

2011-10-11 21:43:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] restore from a read only file system possible?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:40:56 +0200
Hi,

John Rouillard wrote on 2011-10-11 20:29:42 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] restore
from a read only file system possible?]:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:14:33PM +0100, Tim Fletcher wrote:

I've never tried it, but I doubt it. For starters, BackupPC won't be able to
create the test hardlink. If you're running an older version which doesn't
try that yet, it will fail to open the log file (and the server socket?).
trashClean probably won't mind as long as trash/ is empty and might be a
slight nuisance if not.

I agree with the point that has been made: just run BackupPC_tarCreate without
attempting to start the daemon. You simply don't need the daemon - it's there
for scheduling backups. If you just want to download files via the web
interface, that could even theoretically work (i.e. I don't think the daemon
is involved in retrieving the files), except that I think the web interface
will refuse to work if the daemon is not running (but I'm not sure, just test
it). The command line gives you most control and the best diagnostics on
errors, so that's what I'd recommend in a case like this.

> > > Well maybe but why would you. If the filesystem is inconsistent, how
> > > do you know that the file you are restoring points to the proper data?

Is the filesystem inconsistent? I agree that you should be suspicious about
the integrity of the data, but you may have no better option than to try.
Also, BackupPC tries to avoid pool writes when possible and only changes old
files to add checksum data (and that only for rsync with checksum caching
enabled), so I'd argue that with a reasonable file system (i.e. not
reiserfs ;-|) you have good enough chances of success to warrant trying.

What was happening when the raid controller failed? Was it in the middle of a
backup, a link, a nightly run?

> > That's where checksums come in

They would if they did :-).

> Well if the pc/system/share/some/random/file is a hard link to the
> wrong file because the filesystem metadata is screwed up how would you
> detect it? The checksums are in the files right, so the data coule be
> correct but it's data for the wrong file.

Hmm, how would a file system check detect and fix this? If the attrib files
contained the full file md5sums (as Jeffrey has probably suggested), it would
be *possible* for BackupPC to check, but even so, your pc/ trees could be
seriously messed up, so you'd get the correct content restored to a random
directory layout. The only promising solution is ZFS, presuming it performs
as well as the specification sounds.

> Also are the checksums verified during restore?

I'm pretty sure they aren't. The only thing I'd think might be noticed would
be decompression errors. Don't ask me how error reporting would be supposed to
work, though. I was just considering suggesting (or implementing) an option to
verify checksums on restore (hmm, difficult - the old story: we don't know the
pool file name), but what then? Abort on error? Skip the file on error? Rename
the file on error? That all sounds wrong for *some* use cases.

Besides that, in another thread we're just wondering about incorrect pool file
names. What should we trust more, the contents or the checksums?

> I though the checksum verification was done during backups.

Yes, and this also doesn't (and can't) fix detected errors, it just prevents
linking to erraneous content, I believe.

> Also we don't know that he is using the rsync backup method which I think is
> the only one that does checksums (and only if checksum caching is enabled)
> right?

Right.

Regards,
Holger