BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] why are excludes sent to rsync when none are present in the config file?

2011-10-03 15:45:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] why are excludes sent to rsync when none are present in the config file?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:43:06 +0200
Hi,

I wrote on 2011-09-20 04:31:32 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] why are excludes
sent to rsync when none are present in the config file?]:
> Adam Monsen wrote on 2011-09-18 19:29:00 -0700 [[BackupPC-users] why are
> excludes sent to rsync when none are present in the config file?]:
> > [...]
> > BackupFilesOnly has one key, '*', pointing to an array with several
> > values (/etc, /home, /opt/backup/stage/*/active,
> > /opt/backup/stage/other, and a few more). BackupFilesExclude is set to {}.
> > [...]
> > But in the XferLOG, I see
> > [...]
> >   Sent exclude: /opt/backup/stage/*/*
> > [...]
> > AHA, adding the following entry to BackupFilesOnly '*' worked:
> >
> >   /opt/backup/stage/other/*
> >
> > Now that directory is backed up. [...]
> BackupPC should really have generated this. By adding it manually, you
> corrected this oversight, ***but*** only for the immediate directory
> contents. If I read the code correctly, BackupPC will now generate
> an *exclude* /opt/backup/stage/other/*/*, meaning any content in any
> *subdirectories* will again be excluded

for the archives, I don't think that's correct. Instead, BackupPC will
probably generate an exclude "/opt/backup/stage/other/*" which will have no
effect, because the identical *in*clude is passed first. So, the workaround
suggested - adding the "/opt/backup/stage/other/*" include - should work.
Still, this shows that the matter is somewhat confusing :). If you can, you
should avoid wildcards in BackupFilesOnly, and if you can't, you might be
better off generating your --include and --exclude arguments manually. At the
very least, *check* whether your configuration results in the correct files
being backed up!

In the case described here, I would suggest putting /opt/backup/stage in
BackupFilesOnly and excluding the parts you don't want with appropriate
excludes. At the very least, that would be more maintainable. If ever someone
else looks at the configuration, he is bound to think "the BackupFilesOnly
entry /opt/backup/stage/other/* is redundant - I'll remove that".

Regards,
Holger