BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] System backup design advice (with amazon s3)

2011-10-03 07:20:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] System backup design advice (with amazon s3)
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:18:08 +0200
On Monday 03 October 2011 10:03:00 Daniele Menozzi wrote:
> So, this is the situation: backuppc makes daily incremental and weekly full
> backups of my server machine, and stores all data on the sever itself
> (localhost). Now, I also would like to send ONLY one weekly FULL backup to
> amazon s3.
> I know duplicity, and I already set it up to send data to amazon, and all
> works. But the question is: how to set up backuppc to let it prepare the
> data that duplicity will send to s3? I mean, actually backuppc manages full
> and incremental backups on localhost (inside
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/ ), and keeps a lot of backups (every full
> bkp is ~10GB): I cannot send all this stuff every time on s3 (bandwidth
> problems, I have a 40KB upload rate...).
> So I need backuppc to create another dir with only one full backup inside
> at a time (but I also want to keep the full/incremental main cycle! ), and
> tell duplicity to take that dir and upload it on s3.

You could run a post-scrpit on your localhost-host to create a link "current"
that links to the latest backup, set the option to have filled backups and then
sync that "/var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/current" to S3.

Or use a dedicated partition to untar a weekly tar generated from backuppc to
get the current representation and upload that.

But actually if I where you (and we are thinking about S3 too), I wouldn't
upload any un-encrypted data to amazon. Especially if its information about
other people or if its information that is important.

Have fun,

Arnold