BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] System backup design advice (with amazon s3)

2011-10-03 04:05:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] System backup design advice (with amazon s3)
From: Daniele Menozzi <menoz AT voltaelectronics DOT com>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:03:00 +0200
Hi all,
I'm trying backuppc and.. it really rocks :)
I'm in a small office, and I actually only need to backup a server pc. I installed backuppc on that server, and use it to make weekly full (and daily incremental) backup copies of the server files, saving them on the server itself. The server has a raid system, but, you know, I would like to put a copy of the backup even on a separate machine: so I came to amazon s3, where I would like to store ONLY a copy of the FULL weekly backup.

So, this is the situation: backuppc makes daily incremental and weekly full backups of my server machine, and stores all data on the sever itself (localhost). Now, I also would like to send ONLY one weekly FULL backup to amazon s3.
I know duplicity, and I already set it up to send data to amazon, and all works. But the question is: how to set up backuppc to let it prepare the data that duplicity will send to s3? I mean, actually backuppc manages full and incremental backups on localhost (inside /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/ ), and keeps a lot of backups (every full bkp is ~10GB): I cannot send all this stuff every time on s3 (bandwidth problems, I have a 40KB upload rate...).

So I need backuppc to create another dir with only one full backup inside at a time (but I also want to keep the full/incremental main cycle! ), and tell duplicity to take that dir and upload it on s3.

How can I do it?

Hope I have been clear enought :)

Bye,
Daniele

--
Given the right circumstances from no more than dreams, determination,
and the liberty to try, quite ordinary people consistently do extraordinary things.